Saturday, February 6, 2010

New member, Introduction

::waves to the group::

I just discovered TOPP last week and was thrilled to find that there are many other readers who share my obsession with this prize, which has introduced me to so many of my favourite writers. (If you're curious about what I like to read, there's more about that here. I'm really looking forward to getting to know you book-wise.

There were a few sniffles and whimpers when I realized that I had just missed Orange January, but I'll be ready for July and, in the meantime, I'll be getting steadily Orange-r after the 2010 longlist is announced on March 18th ... shouldn't there be a countdown widget somewhere on this blog? ::grin:: I've really enjoyed browsing the reviews posted here, so many of which only make me want to Read More Orange.

If you were to look at my reading logs for January and February you wouldn't likely recognize me as an Orange Reader, but I have read some other books by OP nominees during that time (like Margaret Atwood's Negotiating with the Dead, Jane Urquhart's biography L.M. Montgomery) and I think Marina Endicott's novel Good to a Fault has a good chance of making this year's list.

And my OP reading will increase substantially in the coming weeks: next month I'm planning a wee Pat Barker focus in anticipation of reading her 1996 longlisted novel The Ghost Road and then I will obsessing with 2010's longlist.

The challenge of there being regular additions to the list is that there are always more books and authors to follow up with; I've only read 68 of the OP titles so far, but I know there are many more favourites to be discovered amongst the titles that yet await, so I'm up for that challenge. It's nice to know I'll have company on that journey.

No comments: