Sunday, June 15, 2008

An Orange July

Throughout July, several of my LibraryThing friends and I have committed to reading books that have won, or were short- or long-listed for the Orange Prize. If you're like me, several "Orange" books grace my bookshelves, and I have found many of these books to be insightful, provocative and enjoyable reads.

I would like to extend an invitation to my fellow Orange Prize Project participants to join me in an Orange July. This personal challenge is exactly that - you determine the rules, how many books you want to read, whether you want to post reviews - whatever works for you.

For my Orange July, I am not setting a minimum number of books to read. Instead, I plan on reading my Orange books in the following order and see where I end up when July ends:

1) Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (2007 winner)
2) The Gathering by Anne Enright (2008 Long List)
3) Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood (1997 Long List)
4) Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (2004 Short List)
5) The Inheritance of Loss by Kiran Desai (2007 Short List)
6) The Keep by Jennifer Egan (2008 Long List)
7) The Amateur Marriage by Anne Tyler (2004 Long List)
8) We Need To Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver (2005 winner)
9) The Tenderness of Wolves by Stef Penney (2007 Long List)
10) Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold (2003 Long List)

Come out and play! Please consider enjoying an Orange July with me!


(cross-posted from my blog)

2 comments:

Dewey said...

I came over here from someone's link with every intention of joining. But I didn't realize it was only in July, and I'm moving AND having a houseguest next month, so I have to take a pass. I hope you all have a great time, though!

Wendy said...

Dewey, The Orange July is only in July, but the Orange Prize Project is perpetual...no time limits...if you want to join the Project, let me know and I'll send you an invitation :)